Twitchin Kitten - conversation community
"The Lost New York" - Printable Version

+- Twitchin Kitten - conversation community (https://twitchinkitten.com)
+-- Forum: Art & Entertainment (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-31.html)
+--- Forum: Photography & Art (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: "The Lost New York" (/thread-1197.html)

"The Lost New York" - Twitchin Kitten - 05-03-2010

Wow - really cool pics. Some things I recognize, some not due to the area being changed so dramatically.

http://jdkan.com/Blog/?p=926

I ate here with my Gran

[Image: NYC-ARCH-MISC-079.jpg]

RE: "The Lost New York" - Eric - 05-03-2010

Lookin' all Sparklely and shit

RE: "The Lost New York" - LKTraz - 05-04-2010

The docks in Brooklyn haven't changed that much but what a difference for Times Square!

RE: "The Lost New York" - twisteroo - 05-04-2010

I was kinda in NY once, I was driving, crossed a bridge from NJ and just was looking for a way the hell out.

RE: "The Lost New York" - Twitchin Kitten - 05-04-2010

I love the city. If it weren't for the dogs needing a yard, I'd live there. Well if it weren't for the price of rent too! I should have rented that loft when they were cheap in the early 80's..... regrets, regrets.

I grew up in NYC, Twistie. Bay Ridge Brooklyn for the most part. Mom lived all her life in Little Italy. I used to cut school and hang out in the city.

I've been to many cities and none as exciting as NY. There's everything there and believe it or not, the people are so friendly. We make "friends" every time we go in. Here in stinking New Jersey, everyone is rude, obnoxious and stupid. Yes stupid. Nothing worse than a rude idiot. Moving here was a small regret because I had horses at the time and needed to stay close to NY and needed land for the horses. I got divorced and like a fucking idiot, I bought a house! WTF was I thinking? I could have moved ANYWHERE and got a house but I wasn't thinking. I hate it here. I don't want to die here. I don't want my ghost here nor my remains. I hate it that much. New Jersey is my biggest regret next to my ex.

RE: "The Lost New York" - twisteroo - 05-05-2010

I love the fact that you hate your ex, that is the way it should be, it tells me that all is right with the world.

Anyway, I was real close to going to NYC this June, but backed out. I'm just a county hick and it scares me and shit. I would kind of like to go alone sometime and take a bicycle and see the city that way, but I would have to do it alone, I couldn't have anyone or any group in tow and try to watch out for anyone but myself.

RE: "The Lost New York" - LKTraz - 05-05-2010

I've been all over the boroughs and the island making deliveries. Now believe it or not, I'd sooner be driving a tractor-trailer than a car there.

Ok...so I can't fit down some streets and under some bridges BUT...for the most part, people get the fuck out of my way! Ever try to make a lane change in a sea of yellow? Now try the same thing with a big truck.

I no longer go across the Hudson to deliver things but I can still see the NYC skyline as I get to the Newark airport from I-78.

RE: "The Lost New York" - Twitchin Kitten - 05-05-2010

(05-05-2010, 06:04 AM)twisteroo Wrote: I love the fact that you hate your ex, that is the way it should be, it tells me that all is right with the world.

Anyway, I was real close to going to NYC this June, but backed out. I'm just a county hick and it scares me and shit. I would kind of like to go alone sometime and take a bicycle and see the city that way, but I would have to do it alone, I couldn't have anyone or any group in tow and try to watch out for anyone but myself.

There was a bike race in the city over the weekend. You could have gone and watched if that's your thing.

Twist, I'm comfy deep in the woods, country or thick of the city but I can't stand the 'burbs. I hate it here. I feel like I'm suffocating and I've no privacy. Fucking nosey neighbors, noisy children and their stupid-er parents.

If you ever want to go into the city, and NOT do the dumb tourist thing - let us know. We are FUCKING FUN and I know all the good spots.

(05-05-2010, 06:33 AM)LKTraz Wrote: I've been all over the boroughs and the island making deliveries. Now believe it or not, I'd sooner be driving a tractor-trailer than a car there.

Ok...so I can't fit down some streets and under some bridges BUT...for the most part, people get the fuck out of my way! Ever try to make a lane change in a sea of yellow? Now try the same thing with a big truck.

I no longer go across the Hudson to deliver things but I can still see the NYC skyline as I get to the Newark airport from I-78.

You are the guy I'd like to stick a brick of C4 onto his gas tank as he cuts me off! I knew it. You bastard.

The skyline from NJ or the ferry makes my heart sink when I see it now. It took me a good 5 years before I stopped getting weepy when I saw it after 9/11 attacks. Too many people I know were directly affected. Too many close to me helping clean up. Too many memories of being in those buildings as they were being built (hooky was fun then! they allowed you in the construction of skyscrapers!) and as a young person looking and applying for jobs.

I was able to see and smell the smoke all the way from here that day.