Twitchin Kitten - conversation community
Model Railroading - Online... - Printable Version

+- Twitchin Kitten - conversation community (https://twitchinkitten.com)
+-- Forum: The Club House (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Nerdville (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: Model Railroading - Online... (/thread-3347.html)

Model Railroading - Online... - ralgith - 10-07-2012

I've been a model railroader for 18 years now; since I was 13. For a few years now I've been using the java program JMRI (Java Model Railroad Interface) to run trains digitally (I use the Lenz Digital DCC [Digital Command Control] system for my layout, and JMRI interfaces perfectly with it) from my computer. At one time, I even had a couple webcams streaming live to my website with views of my layout, including a wireless pinhole camera mounted in one of my locomotives looking out through the windshield.

Recently however I've been looking around the JMRI website at some new stuff they've been doing, and I see they've got something going that I tried doing myself back in 2005-06... web based controls! You can now let people around the world control your layout over the web! Either in the browser, which is new; or by remote connecting from another instance of JMRI, which I just never knew existed in the software before but has for some time.

There are also apps for both iOS and Android to use as "Throttles" (Controllers) on your local WiFi so guests can use their own phones if you allow it.

I'm sure none of you really care... except perhaps that when I next make my layout operational I'll be allowing internet control of the branch lines on the layout. Yes this will be a year or three down the road, but its interesting in and of itself! Biggrin In doing my research I discovered that in 1995-96 a university in Germany did this (using their own software of course) and people from around the world ran trains on their layout. I think I'll enjoy this Wink

Ahh... the joys of planning. I've (as a project with my daughter) been spending the last few days planning my next layout in extreme detail Biggrin

RE: Model Railroading - Online... - Twitchin Kitten - 10-08-2012

Kind of like what they did on The Big Bang Theory with the remote control cars and lights? Biggrin

RE: Model Railroading - Online... - ralgith - 10-08-2012

(10-08-2012, 07:41 AM)Twitchin Kitten Wrote: Kind of like what they did on The Big Bang Theory with the remote control cars and lights? Biggrin

Yes... except I wouldn't be sending my own connection around the world to run the train 3 feet away from me Tongue

Its sad I even know the episode you're referring to since I don't watch the show... however my step daughter does and I just happened to be upstairs for that ep and kinda found it funny.

Now I just need to stabilize my income so I can buy about $1000 worth of new equipment (train stuff, I already have a computer and a Lenz DCC system... just need the Lenz Li-USB-Ethernet adapater which is only like $40-60 and more locomotives!) since I sold several of my locomotives when I was unemployed back in 2008. Down to just a small diesel switcher, a 2-8-0 steam loco, and a couple of non-working steam locos, and 2xAlco RS-3 diesels. That's about 1/4 of my old fleet. And of course they're all painted wrong for the new layout too Sad

RE: Model Railroading - Online... - Twitchin Kitten - 10-08-2012

You need to find your Quickbooks and get moving on that too Wink

RE: Model Railroading - Online... - ralgith - 10-08-2012

(10-08-2012, 08:22 AM)Twitchin Kitten Wrote: You need to find your Quickbooks and get moving on that too Wink

I did find it Tongue I'm doing it already. Smartass.