Twitchin Kitten - conversation community
Smart Phones - Printable Version

+- Twitchin Kitten - conversation community (https://twitchinkitten.com)
+-- Forum: The Club House (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Twitchy's Club House (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Smart Phones (/thread-2916.html)

Smart Phones - Twitchin Kitten - 03-17-2012

Anyone with a newer smart phone?
Do you like them?
Do you find them too tedious?
Do you wish you went with a different model?
Do you plan on swapping out phones to try as many as you might be interested in every time you can upgrade or when it's time to renew your calling plan?

I don't want to get into the Android vs iPhone hate debate. We all have our preferences.

I want to try to compare some features that might be missing on one or the other or a perk one or the other doesn't possess.

I just discovered, and I'm sure it's common knowledge but I'm not "up" on all these egghead-y things, that I can text free internationally between iPhones. I need to renew my plan today so I'm going to find out more what I can do internationally later.

iPhone has a feature called iMessage where you can text between other iPhones regardless of the carrier for free. No paid for messages taken up.

Do Android phones have this kind of feature?

I went nuts with joy to find this out yesterday because kazza is that customer I was talking about in the private area and she can be a pain to get hold of sometimes. I now can bug her whenever I need her, all the way in England. Biggrin

RE: Smart Phones - LKTraz - 03-17-2012

I have a Motorola Milestone smart slider. It's an Android phone and I have a nationwide unlimited minutes/text/data plan. I know that if someone sends me a text I can reply and converse with them no matter where they are. For international calling I think I'd need to pay. Should I need to start doing that I'll just get an upgrade on my Vonage house phone plan. Then I just have to call my Vonage account from the mobile and route my call from there.

RE: Smart Phones - AnthonyG - 03-18-2012

I have sprint with unlimited talk text and data except for calling land lines I am limited to 1500 minutes a month, but I never use them all. I started with the HTC evo which is a android OS phone, and then got the Iphone 4s when it came out. In general I could no longer go without a smart phone, whenever you need to look up anything you have the power in your pocket to do so. Then you have app store or android market depending on the OS/phone, but you have countless useful apps on both platforms.
I cant think of any specific situation right now but after a while you kinda take it for granted, but I have had apps from both phones help me on occasion when I really needed it. One thing that worked out really nice was my niece had gone in for brain surgery and my sister was staying at the hospital with her over her whole recovery. It was for a few weeks but because me and my sister both had Iphones I was able to do facetime. With that my mom could see and talk to my niece and cheer her up in such a confusing painful experience.

The way I look at it is, the android based phones can be completely customized how ever because of its open source I found things to be more glitchy from time to time and I had quite a few os crashes where I had to pull the battery.
With the Iphone you cant customize as deeply as the android phones but I found the phone overall more user friendly and or similar programs better executed. I never had any hard crashes with the phone and I never had any freezes yet knock on wood. I consider the android the phone for someone that really wants total control over the software and be able to change things around.

Regardless of all I said I dont see how you dont have a smartphone haha.

RE: Smart Phones - Twitchin Kitten - 03-18-2012

If your Android phones don't have the equivalent to Facetime, you can use Skype the same way. You can only use Facetime over wifi but Skype uses the 3G so you can use it anytime over and between any OS.

Calls are always at the rules and limitations of your carrier and calling plan.

I was just wondering if the Android phones have that iMessage type feature where you can get those text freebies between same type phones / OS.

Lots of people don't have smart phones Anthony. Some just don't have a need for them. I got my mom a Kindle Fire for Christmas and goddamn if she doesn't call me every day for help with that. I'd kill myself if she got a smart phone!

RE: Smart Phones - AnthonyG - 03-18-2012

Yeah my mom is the same, she was kinda forced into a early model type of smart phone just because they didnt have any regular flip phones. She pretty much refuses to use it I had to buy a old sprint phone from ebay and she likes that haha. However my dad took to a smartphone like a fish to water he loves it and couldnt do without it. I think my parents generation will be the last that will be anti tech for the most part.My gf's dad likes things simple too he has a basic flip phone, it has push to talk feature but because he needs it for job sites but thats where he draws his line haha.

Oh and when I had my evo it had the imessage app so to answer your question I believe all android os phones can use it.

RE: Smart Phones - Twitchin Kitten - 04-15-2012

Anthony, I think the iMessage app is exclusive only to iPhones. I did some digging around because I wanted to let a friend without an iPhone in on this (from what you said regarding the evo) and I cannot find iMessage for anything but an iPhone.

RE: Smart Phones - Biker Dude - 04-15-2012

I have the HTC Thunderbolt, which these days is kinda dated, but at the time it was the first 4G LTE phone. While the screen on your average iphone is smaller which would bug me only a little, the 3G only capabilities would bug me more. This past weekend I had to fly into Kansas City with a co-worker. We were both looking on maps to find where we were going and he ended up putting his 4S iphone in his pocket because it downloaded so slow.

I don't have half the apps that most smart phone users have, but there are some cool ones. Don't we have a thread on that somewhere? What aps you have? And as I have free unlimited text/data/mobile to mobile voice I havent looked for any other messaging ones. I just send an old fashioned sms text.

Anybody live in the mid-west? Thunderstorm raging across Kansas last night? Made my flight into Denver fun!

RE: Smart Phones - Twitchin Kitten - 04-15-2012

Not sure if we have an app thread.

We were playing with the Android phones a few weeks ago and with my small hands, I like the fit of the iPhone. Fits in my pocket just perfectly too.

As for the 3g service, I think it all depends on where you are. I am fast as hell here. I would like the 4g but the dork at the Verizon store said the iPhones won't go 4g until they can make a smaller batter to fit. I don't see how it has anything to do with batteries. Said a bigger battery=thicker phone. I guess that goes with the condition the size stays the same? Dunno.

I don't have too many apps either. I look for them as I need one and my most used is Pandora and my bike route tracker when I ride my bicycle. I use the new GPS thingy too, very handy although I mess it up and make it recalculate all the time because I know better routes to get 'mostly' there before I'm in new territory. Smile

RE: Smart Phones - Biker Dude - 04-15-2012

Some people have tons and tons of aps. Guy at work is like that.

One of the reasons screen size isn't huge for me is i don't care to watch movies on my phone. Co-worker did get they Galaxy S, and holy shit. It's almost half a tablet.

His battery size statement must have meant he thinks the iphone 5 will be the same size as the 4. In order to put an LTE radio in it, something has to shrink. And yes it does take an additional radio. Personally I think Apple is gonna jump on the bigger screen band wagon with the 5.

As for fast, 4G smokes 3g everytime. I have recorded 9+Mbps downloads. Ap dude was getting 1.7. But it comes at a cost. 4G LTE takes more battery. To be true 4G, it has to be LTE. Not a 3G+.