Twitchin Kitten - conversation community
The Grammar Nazi Thread - Printable Version

+- Twitchin Kitten - conversation community (https://twitchinkitten.com)
+-- Forum: The Club House (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Twitchy's Club House (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: The Grammar Nazi Thread (/thread-2911.html)

Pages: 1 2

The Grammar Nazi Thread - LKTraz - 03-13-2012

Being as there seem to be a fair amount of entries in the "You know what pisses me off?/Rant" thread concerning misuses of language, I think it deserves it's own thread.

Deposit your maddening observations of people butchering language and grammar here.

For starters:

What the fuck is up with the overuse/misuse of the word alleged?

The news media seems to have forgotten its real meaning and uses it in place of more correct terms.

Example: "The alleged shooting victim.........."
Now how the fuck can a shooting victim be alleged? Were they shot? If so they ARE a shooting victim! I mean you either got shot or you didn't!!!!!!!

The best misuse in recent memory was from just the other day on the noonday news on a local radio station out of Harrisburg.
"The alleged case against the man who was involved in the Sunday downtown shooting......"

Alleged case? What? You mean to tell me that someone is just SAYING there's a case against this guy? Fucking idiot writers!!!!!!

A more accurate statement would have been "The case against the man who is alleged to be the shooter in this Sunday's incident downtown......"

Seems the moron news copy writers don't know how to use words like: accused, suspected and reportedly.

Fucking dweebs.

RE: The Grammar Nazi Thread - LKTraz - 03-17-2012

I don't know if this is just an area thing or if it is more widespread but.........

Why the fuck do people add a fucking T to the word cousin?

"Yeah...I'm goin' over to the mall with my cousint John." "I hang around with my cousints."

Where the hell did that shit come from?

RE: The Grammar Nazi Thread - twisteroo - 03-17-2012

Hey thanks LK...the other day as I'm watching the news I caught them saying something about the alleged case or the alleged suit or something. I would have never noticed if not for this thread.
Now I have something else to piss me off.

RE: The Grammar Nazi Thread - Twitchin Kitten - 03-18-2012

I never heard that "alleged" nonsense - yet, but cousint must be a regional thing. What really irks me is people who put an R in the word wash. Warshington, warsh the laundry... you get the idea.

Same for adding a T to across. Acrosst? Really you illiterate fucks?

RE: The Grammar Nazi Thread - Twilla - 03-18-2012

Apostrophes in plural words. "Apostrophe's in plural word's."

Argh.

RE: The Grammar Nazi Thread - LKTraz - 03-19-2012

(03-18-2012, 06:07 AM)Twitchin Kitten Wrote: What really irks me is people who put an R in the word wash. Warshington, warsh the laundry... you get the idea.

Oh yeah.
Window becomes winder with those folks too. I swear I can hear the strains of dueling banjos playing when someone dispenses those grammatical gaffs.

That goes with "chimbly". "Santa Claus came down the chimbly."

It's fucking CHIMNEY....look it up jackwad!

RE: The Grammar Nazi Thread - LKTraz - 04-26-2012

Grammatical pet peeve:

When someone starts talking to you and leads off with pronouns.

Example: "She will be here in about ten minutes." Uh she WHO? Maybe YOU know who the fuck you're talking about but since this is the first reference to whomever she is I have no fucking clue and thus a proper noun should start this off.

"Sally is coming over. She will be here in about ten minutes." OR "Sally will be here in about ten minutes."

RE: The Grammar Nazi Thread - Rhubarb - 04-26-2012

lol!

My dad loves this stuff. You do know there is a society just for this?

The frightening thing is in my family is I am always afraid anything I write to family may just get sent back corrected! 2 teachers, one Doctor of English and 3 members with English degrees.

RE: The Grammar Nazi Thread - Twitchin Kitten - 04-26-2012

Then your family will really cringe if they ever heard me in person!

RE: The Grammar Nazi Thread - John L - 04-27-2012

(04-26-2012, 05:57 PM)Twitchin Kitten Wrote: Then your family will really cringe if they ever heard me in person!

Boy, isn't that the truth!! You could peel old paint right off the wall, and not even break into a sweat. Party