Twitchin Kitten - conversation community
Our Pony - Printable Version

+- Twitchin Kitten - conversation community (https://twitchinkitten.com)
+-- Forum: The Club House (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Animal Kingdom (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Our Pony (/thread-1772.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Our Pony - SyberB - 09-25-2010

I was talking to Twitchy today about the pony we have, so here are a few pics of him.

He's a 3yr old pinto gelding. We got him for free this past summer... some folks were just giving him away. I measured him today and he is JUST under 14hh (13.3). By the time he's finished growing, he might even make the 14hh mark, or maybe a smidge over.

He needs the brambles combed out of his mane and tail right now... but I don't see much point in doing it yet, since he's in a field full of them and we're getting ready to move him. I still think he's a cutie!!

(I hope I don't blow the margins)

[attachment=1290]
[attachment=1291]
[attachment=1292]

RE: Our Pony - Twitchin Kitten - 09-25-2010

Oh he's lovely! He's a nice big boy too and he has kind eyes.

I hope you're moving him to a place with a better fence! I've seen too many horrors happen with cow fencing used for horses. Sometimes it's a wonder how they don't hurt themselves in some of the things I've seen people keep horses in!

Love the spot on his forehead. If you can't get the brambles out, you can always roach the mane for the winter now the flies aren't around much. It should grow in nicely by the spring! WTH was he doing? Rubbing his head in the brambles to make an afro? Biggrin

I'm jealous, he's lovely.

RE: Our Pony - SyberB - 09-25-2010

Thanks Smile I'm a sucker for a horse with a sweet face. He has some 'tude though... you should seem him when I'm forcing him to trot on a longe line. heheh He's doing a bit better though, he seems to be a fast learner. He's already starting to learn to respect my space when I'm leading him and he's starting to move off when I click to him. I think he'll grow up to be a fine pony.

I know about the fence... there's some barbed wire too, and I just hate that. The place I had originally planned to move him into, is pretty much all barbed wire. *shudder* Anyway, the place we found is owned by a guy who trains horses for a living. I haven't seen it yet, but I would have to assume it's much better. He also has a round pen, which is fantastic, and he can trim their hooves (no extra charge).

I have no idea how he got himself so matted up. Drives me nuts... I'm used to horses that are regularly groomed. They're all in his tail too. Oh well...

RE: Our Pony - twisteroo - 09-26-2010

He is a fine looking horse. I like his markings, even though I'm not a horse guy.
Somebody needs poop.

RE: Our Pony - Twitchin Kitten - 09-26-2010

You know, if you slick up his hair with Laser Sheen or Show Sheen it will slick it up nicely and loosen those barbs out of there. I totally forgot about that trick yesterday and dreamed about pulling clingons out of horses last night!

RE: Our Pony - LH - 09-26-2010

Thats a mulado horse......use jerri-curl.

RE: Our Pony - BarEdul - 09-26-2010

I just had visions of buck wheat from this thread!!! on a horse!

RE: Our Pony - twisteroo - 09-26-2010

How much do you pay for a bale of hay?

RE: Our Pony - SyberB - 10-03-2010

Yeah, I'm going to get him all cleaned up after we move him, which should be in the next couple of days. I had forgotten about that trick too, so thanks for reminding me. Now I'll have to buy some Show Sheen. =p

(09-26-2010, 10:04 AM)Twitchin Kitten Wrote: You know, if you slick up his hair with Laser Sheen or Show Sheen it will slick it up nicely and loosen those barbs out of there. I totally forgot about that trick yesterday and dreamed about pulling clingons out of horses last night!

RE: Our Pony - SyberB - 10-03-2010

(09-26-2010, 06:18 PM)twisteroo Wrote: How much do you pay for a bale of hay?

I don't know... I haven't had to buy one in ages and the place we are moving him to, provides nice field grass hay (best kind for horses). I've seen summer prices for bales at around $5/bale, but these are the smaller bales that a person can lift pretty easily on their own.

The last time I actually bought hay was in Oregon, and those bales were MASSIVE. I couldn't lift one on my own, I had to roll them (which made it real fun trying to get them on top of my car, which was the only way I had to transport them). I can't remember the exact prices of those bales, but I'm thinking they were around $10? And a bale would last 3-4 days for my two girls. Of course, winter prices are higher.

Here's a new pic. Skye had his first pony ride today. This little guy is 'Blaze' and Skye was beaming with pride.

[attachment=1322]