Twitchin Kitten - conversation community
The English Only Debate - Printable Version

+- Twitchin Kitten - conversation community (https://twitchinkitten.com)
+-- Forum: The Club House (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Twitchy's Club House (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: The English Only Debate (/thread-1650.html)

Pages: 1 2

The English Only Debate - Twitchin Kitten - 08-21-2010

I was going to put this in politics but I don't think it's really a political matter. At least not yet. Smile

What are your views on the English as our official language debate?
Frankly I am sick of seeing everything in Spanish and English. Until recent years it's always been our products and signs, labels etc were in English. Our country's founding documents are in English. English is the most popular second language across the planet.

I think it's terribly unfair to anyone living here to have Spanish forced down our throats. We have many large communities of immigrants who speak their native language and I find it insulting to them as well.

If it were to come to a Constitutional Amendment vote today, I'd say make our official language English.

What say you?

RE: The English Only Debate - twisteroo - 08-21-2010

No me importa un culo de rata es lo que la cogida que hacen. Fuck a todos.

RE: The English Only Debate - kbear - 08-21-2010

I'm just saying you live here speak english!!
I have to try to speak spanish with I go to Mexico

RE: The English Only Debate - twisteroo - 08-22-2010

I have always said that when I was in high school it was not mandatory to learn another language (spanish), I'm afraid that I would have just refused if it was. But I am just a damn dumb whitetrash, redneck, and nobody would expect anything different from me.

RE: The English Only Debate - LKTraz - 08-22-2010

Traditionally those who came to the Yoo Ess Ayy would learn English as a part of becoming part of the culture. Just ask the children and grandchildren of Italian, Irish, Polish, Russian, German, Lithuanian etc immigrants.

Today, it seems that with the majority of immigrants being Spanish speakers that THEY are the arrogant fucks who insist that everyone else bend to adapt to THEIR culture!

Well.....sorry amigo, would your country bend to me and start doing everything in Spanish and English? I think not!!!!!!

Lessee here......if I were to move to Poland, uhhhhhh I'd have to learn Polish, now wouldn't I?

If your country of origin is so fucking great then why the hell did you leave and come here? More importantly, why don't you just go the fuck back, asshole?

We are just about the only nation who doesn't have an official language. That fact is what the mamby pamby let's all get along in rainbow and unicorn land bleeding heart activists play on while screaming that if we don't bend to the will of others we are racist.

My take is: This nation was founded by English speaking people.......have used English as the WIDELY predominant language since before its founding and has a long history of immigrants learning it to integrate and assimilate, soooooooo..........you are in the US, speak English!

Joey Vento of Geno's Steaks in Philadelphia has the right idea. He will not serve anyone who does not order in English. BUT.........he will teach them how to order in English and THEN serve them! End result? The customer gets their cheese steak AND a free English lesson!

RE: The English Only Debate - Twitchin Kitten - 08-22-2010

Whoa, calm down, LOL. Aww you're going to pop a vein there, Amigo.

RE: The English Only Debate - twisteroo - 08-22-2010

That vato is going loco esse.

Si Senor!

RE: The English Only Debate - Rhubarb - 08-22-2010

(08-22-2010, 07:40 AM)LKTraz Wrote: Traditionally those who came to the Yoo Ess Ayy would learn English as a part of becoming part of the culture. Just ask the children and grandchildren of Italian, Irish, Polish, Russian, German, Lithuanian etc immigrants.

Lessee here......if I were to move to Poland, uhhhhhh I'd have to learn Polish, now wouldn't I?

Joey Vento of Geno's Steaks in Philadelphia has the right idea. He will not serve anyone who does not order in English. BUT.........he will teach them how to order in English and THEN serve them! End result? The customer gets their cheese steak AND a free English lesson!

That is how it is in the Netherlands. You move there you must go and take a test after a certain time to prove you have the basics in the language.

The Polish here speak English.
Syl's daughter went to Poland when her husband was sent there on business. She now speaks Polish. She lives in Mississippi now, has just begun to understand the acccent Wink

Maybe everyone should learn Chinese? Problem solved?

NO WAY Chinese! They got like 300 letters in their alphabet! We're still trying to perfect the language we already speak!

Ha, did you know our Southern accent came from the Brits? Yes, we can thank you for that awful drawl. Rofl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_American_English

And this will give you a history of all our dialects

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_English