Twitchin Kitten - conversation community
How does your garden grow? - Printable Version

+- Twitchin Kitten - conversation community (https://twitchinkitten.com)
+-- Forum: Twitchy's Garage (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-24.html)
+--- Forum: Home Decor & Outdoors (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-44.html)
+--- Thread: How does your garden grow? (/thread-3632.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: How does your garden grow? - ralgith - 05-07-2013

Well, typically asparagus chokes other things out. That's why it says it doesn't like competitors. The only things I've that conquer asparagus are myrtle and english ivy. Of course, I haven't tried every possible thing... but yeah. I know you askedme if I grow it, and I don't, but my dad always did so I am familiar with it Wink

RE: How does your garden grow? - Twitchin Kitten - 05-08-2013

Well the row I put it in will be safe from traffic. I can swap the beans with the herbs or I can put the herbs someplace else because there still is more room and the squash and cantaloupe crawl on the floor making it easy too. I can push the asparagus closer to the fence or "box" up their living space as well.

And thanks for that explanation. I read it the opposite way, thinking that they "fall prey" to competitors vs "conquer" them. So, if they hate competitors so much maybe they'll kill that fucking vine that will not die no matter how much Roundup I put on it every year.

OK so then if I do change my mind and put them along the back, what about sun? I figured the tomatoes along the east side because they would be tallest and not block the sun for the rest. Will they do well if they are shaded by the taller plants?

RE: How does your garden grow? - ralgith - 05-08-2013

No, you probably shouldn't shade them. But I don't really have a better suggestion either.

RE: How does your garden grow? - Twitchin Kitten - 05-08-2013

Well, I'm going to watch the sun while I wait for the plants to come in and see how the pattern goes and adjust from there I guess

RE: How does your garden grow? - LH - 06-08-2013

How did the watermelon go? I'm trying that this year.

RE: How does your garden grow? - Twitchin Kitten - 06-09-2013

It's not watermelon, LH it's a cantaloupe plant. The thing is flowering but it's not spreading like the zucchini. With all the rain it's coming up real nice right now. I'll take pics later today and post them.

I think they're slower to "go wild" than the others because they harvest a little later in the season.

RE: How does your garden grow? - twisteroo - 06-09-2013

This would be my garden as of about yesterday, just tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, beets, and cucumbers and some pumpkins in another spot.

[Image: sany9210.jpg]

That's a nice plot there, Twist.

You have a much nicer lawn than we do. It's all sand here and it's a giant fight with the bugs due to the pigs with the forest of shit on each side of us.

Here's mine: (lawn hasn't been mowed yet today)

[attachment=2570]

RE: How does your garden grow? - twisteroo - 06-09-2013

My garden is actually pretty small. The bigger it is the more likely it is to get out of hand, and a lot of shit is just not worth growing.
My lawn is nothing special, we never water, fertilize, rake, seed, roll, or any of that stuff, just mow and it is what it is.
What is grass anyway, just desired weeds, I say if it's green it stays, except those things with prickers on them, I chop those little fuckers out with a hoe.

Yeah but you have nice, rich soil up by you. I got sand so we have to supplement it. I do have a wild cactus by the dog pen and they're native around here. make beautiful flowers too. I posted them someplace.