Twitchin Kitten - conversation community
How does my garden grow? - Printable Version

+- Twitchin Kitten - conversation community (https://twitchinkitten.com)
+-- Forum: Twitchy's Garage (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-24.html)
+--- Forum: Home Decor & Outdoors (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-44.html)
+--- Thread: How does my garden grow? (/thread-2961.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: How does my garden grow? - Twitchin Kitten - 04-27-2012

No, this is the first year we had to add dirt. I'm glad we did. It's healthier, richer soil than the sandy crud that's there now. We should have done it last year but Matt was too busy to get dirt. When we tilled it up taking out the grass chunks is what lowered the level. Funny, the water never pooled up in there when it was low like you'd expect.

RE: How does my garden grow? - Twitchin Kitten - 04-30-2012

Dirt added, garden covering down! Beans and peas planted. Herb box with rosemary, basil, dill and parsley planted. Catnip planted.

Dug up some hostas from next door and planted them under the Japanese maple with the others to fill in blank spaces.

Molding in the nuclear room done! Almost.

It's been a very productive weekend. I ache.

RE: How does my garden grow? - Rhubarb - 04-30-2012

Still raining Sad
Dreadful weather....
The soil is coming of my potatoes. A customer was telling me about her veg' garden, she told me to give my potato patch a 'polytunnel' but use flannel instead! the soil doesn't wash away and the potatoes are kept dark. Happy potatoes I hope.

Sarah needs help tomorrow to stop the flooding in her garden. I asked my mother for her gardening ideas....she suggested a submarine.
Thanks mum.

RE: How does my garden grow? - John L - 04-30-2012

I know this probably belongs in the "You know what Pisses Me Off" thread, but it is about gardening.

What really pisses me off is to set up my self irrigating garden buckets, plant tomatoes, and bell peppers. Then spend some nice days tending to them, watching them take off, and then hit the back deck the next morning to find that some Buggerin' squirrel has come along, and just for the hell of it all, dug into the central hole, pulling up one of my beautiful bell pepper plants.

Ooooooohhh that really pisses me off! Now I'm going to have to set up some sort of guard to keep the little buggers from climbing up on the buckets, and sticking their noses into the small hole where the plants is peeping out. I'm almost tempted to have fried squirrel for breakfast some morning soon.

RE: How does my garden grow? - Twitchin Kitten - 05-01-2012

Just put wire over the bucket tops. The plant will find its way up through the hole and you can cut it off from around the plant once it's big enough to sustain itself.

We escaped the frost from the night before by exactly one mile. I was sweating it for my peas and beans!

I'm waiting for tomatoes to come in the mail and next weekend sometime I'm going to the hot house in Jackson to get my zucchini. I should get one or two bell pepper plants - colored ones since green is so common.

RE: How does my garden grow? - John L - 05-01-2012

That little Shit came back and did in a second one this last evening. I went and cut down one of my wire cages for the tomato plants and set them into the bucket tops. I'll take a picture and show you.

[Image: 2282874750037686397S600x600Q85.jpg]

[Image: 2139391190037686397S600x600Q85.jpg]

If Rocky can stand dragging its privates over the sharp edges of that cut wire, more power to it.

That empty bucket in the last picture is one of the two bell peppers that were dug up. I'm going to have to go and buy two more.

RE: How does my garden grow? - Twitchin Kitten - 05-01-2012

Oh I see now. He'll still get what he wants. His "privates" have nothing to do with it. He won't even touch the wire. At least not where it hurts.

I've never had a squirrel touch my garden. Rabbits and 'possums, woodchucks and smaller critters, but the squirrel isn't a pain like that.

Try a diversion? Peanuts for him in another location maybe? Unsalted of course.

Well if that height doesn't work, I will just make the next one twice as high, or even higher. I have a lot of wire that is not being used.

Also, I am going to be enclosing the tomato plants in a day or two, so they will look like the ones I did last year. I'll also have a stake set in the hole where the tomato is growing.

[Image: 26StarterGarden.jpg]

RE: How does my garden grow? - twisteroo - 05-01-2012

I've had deer pull up my beets, and Rocket destroyed all my corn last year, but there are too many cats roaming the yard for a squirrel to get brave enough to try for the garden, or even a bird feeder for that matter.