Twitchin Kitten - conversation community
What Linux Are You? - Printable Version

+- Twitchin Kitten - conversation community (https://twitchinkitten.com)
+-- Forum: The Club House (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Nerdville (https://twitchinkitten.com/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: What Linux Are You? (/thread-2013.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: What Linux Are You? - Twitchin Kitten - 12-23-2010

No thank you. I like my Apple. I like no headaches. I like no viruses. I like no trojans. I like deleting a program with one click and it's deleted in it's entirety. NO leftover files or folders. I like not having to defrag and all the other headache-y routine maintenance things that are needed with a PC.

RE: What Linux Are You? - ralgith - 12-23-2010

(12-23-2010, 04:47 PM)Twitchin Kitten Wrote: No thank you. I like my Apple. I like no headaches. I like no viruses. I like no trojans. I like deleting a program with one click and it's deleted in it's entirety. NO leftover files or folders. I like not having to defrag and all the other headache-y routine maintenance things that are needed with a PC.

Linux has all of that too Tongue
Stop saying with a PC when you mean with a Windows PC Tongue

Except that both Linux and OSX do need defragged. They're just smart enough to do it on their own.

No, Apple computers keep all files compartmentalized in their own folders. Unlike a PC and probably Linux. So when I delete a program, there is no need to go into my system to look for a file or folder containing leftover remnants of the deleted program.

There is no auto defrag because the operating system is set up to use the files and put them back where they found them eliminating the need.

(12-23-2010, 05:49 PM)Twitchin Kitten Wrote: No, Apple computers keep all files compartmentalized in their own folders. Unlike a PC and probably Linux. So when I delete a program, there is no need to go into my system to look for a file or folder containing leftover remnants of the deleted program.

There is no auto defrag because the operating system is set up to use the files and put them back where they found them eliminating the need.

Incorrect, and incorrect. You just don't understand the low level system operations going on.

Neither Linux nor Mac, nor any UNIX type of OS for that matter, needs to be defragmented via the user firstly because they write new files into spaces large enough to fit the entire file, and secondly because everytime you reboot a modern UNIX type of system is does some disk cleanup stuff that includes moving small files in the middle of large open space on the drive into any small holes between larger files. Unlike Winblows which starts with the first open cluster and causes lots of fragmentation after a lot of file deletes and creations. So like I said, OSX takes care of defrag on its own behind the scenes. I'm not sure about OSX, but some Linux also do the disk cleanup stuff while the system is idle too. I would guess OSX does that, but I couldn't swear to it.

As for the other part, I didn't say your Mac didn't Tongue
All I said was Linux is the same way Tongue

Lazy

(12-23-2010, 08:07 PM)Twitchin Kitten Wrote: Lazy

Nice invis smiley Biggrin

Sorry, I guess Linux can't handle smilies.

OOPS :p its just animated and I didn't wait to see it.